Rules-based Printing with Advanced Printing Solutions
Why you need rules-based printing
The biggest problem with today’s business printers isn’t the printer. Whether your department is using a small Multifunctional device or a large Production device, neither speed nor image quality is the problem. No, the real challenge with business printers may lie with the experience level of the person doing the printing. Humans are amazingly creative and innovative, but occasionally, we all make mistakes. We print on letterhead instead of plain paper. We print in color instead of grayscale. We print 50 copies when we meant to print 5. Or we print personal emails in color on 11×17 sheets of paper.
How rules-based printing works
Rules-based printing uses advanced printing software to define what type of documents can be printed, which devices can print them, and which users have permission to print. Using these parameters, an administrator (usually a vendor technician or someone from IT) creates rules that discourage human errors and ensure the sophisticated technology is being used effectively.
Examples of rules-based printing
Print rules to save paper
- By default, use both sides of a sheet for multi-page documents
- Do not permit printing from specific applications such as Outlook
- By default, print documents in grayscale
- Automatically delete duplicate print jobs
Print rules to increase security
- Restrict access to devices based on on the user’s role or department
- Enable walk-up printing so users must be at the printer when their document completes
Print rules to improve productivity
- Send large files (based on the number of pages and copies) to high-volume printers
- Suggest alternative printers if the specified printer is offline
- Automatically route print jobs to the most cost-effective printer
Benefits of rules-based printing
- Reduce costs — Less wasted paper and consumables
- Save time — Less waiting for printers occupied with oversized print jobs
- Increase security — No sensitive documents left sitting on a printer
- Environmental benefits — Reduce paper and power consumption
- Proper resource allocation — Routing print jobs means faster printing and fewer bottlenecks
Getting started with rules-based printing
Rules-based printing can help you manage costs and resources, but it takes time and effort to configure. The key to successful implementation is to work with a professional with ample experience configuring rules-based printing. Contact your Applied Imaging Printing Professional to discuss simple rules that reduce cost and use resources effectively.
Lower costs and improve productivity with Rules-based Printing.
PrintSmart, Applied Imaging’s Managed Print Services Program, allows businesses to bundle all document output devices, toner, and service into one invoice with one low cost per print. PrintSmart also removes the burden of fixing printers and monitoring supplies from IT professionals, allowing them to perform more important, strategic functions. Save money and increase productivity with PrintSmart.Schedule a Print Assessment